Tasmanian Spatial Information Council was established in 2008.
Previous governance for spatial information in Tasmania was limited to government representatives. In 2006, the need to establish new, more holistic governance arrangements was identified. It was recommended that new arrangements should involve government, academia, the private sector and professional institutions.
In 2007, State Cabinet approved the establishment of the Tasmanian Spatial Information Council (TASSIC).
Led by an independent Chair, TASSIC members are nominated by key spatial organisations to ensure an appropriate balance of competencies and experiences.
TASSIC's Charter provides for both permanent and interim members, all appointed by the Minister for Parks.
TASSIC has developed a
framework of guiding principles to support the evolution of Tasmania's Spatial Data Infrastructure.
Nominated members of the Tasmanian Spatial Information Council (2021-2024) are:
- Mr Alan Smart - Chair
- Mr Michael Giudici - Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Ms Inga Playle - Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI)
- Dr Rachael Hurd - University of Tasmania
- Ms Emily Brown - Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT)
- Mr Justin Thurley - Department of Premier and Cabinet
- Mr Justin Legg - Spatial Industries Business Association (SIBA)